Although they had equal billing, this married couple headlined a show that was wholly dependent on the skewed behavior of one of its stars, Gracie Allen. It took a big man, George Burns, to recognize that his wife was the laugh-getter, and to yield to her as the quintessential straight-man.
—Jim Cox, in American Radio Networks: A History (2009).
Just in case you missed the first time . . .
- 28 August: Gracie says her saddest goodnight
- 21 August: Boiling a little more softly
- 17 August: How Paar broke his biggest break
- 15 August: The celebration continues . . .
- 14 August: The end of a war
- 9 August: Easy is in the ear of the beholder
- 8 August: The mighty Thor
- 6 August: Hiroshima
- 3 August: The unusual underground
- 31 July: A washed-up soap pioneer
We’re building a history here . . .